Thursday, April 28, 2005

Paper Tease

Drunk, and lying in a field in Islington, Douglas Noel Adams, a relatively unknown writer/performer from Cambridge, England, was struck with an idea for a radio show that would eventually become a cult classic and the source of material for multiple books, a television series, and a soon to be released motion picture. This is not the story of that idea.

That's the beginning of my personality profile of Douglas Adams. Tomorrow maybe I'll post the whole crappy paper on my other site. It could have been a good paper. At one point it had serious potential. And then I started writing it. I was, as usual, constrained by time. I have to stop procrastinating. Just not today. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure it wasn't all that bad. Now you have to post it on the website, just so I can judge it for myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I never knew anyone was out there watching me and reading my thoughts that night I lie drunk on the field. Oh the fields of Islington. I remember vaguely a pub-- the Hope and Anchor located directly across from a cathedral. Those were the days. Now it houses late night London emo and indie hipsters.

Michael W. Moore Jr said...

It's actually a story commonly told by Douglas on the origin of the hitchhiker's guide idea, although it may or may not be true. I was not there that night. I would have been -2 years old at the time...

Michael W. Moore Jr said...

The great thing about Douglas's stories on the origins of Hitchikers is that they are subject to change depending on his perceived tell-ability of them. Douglas was a genius at creating myths around his works. Of course, he was pretty much just a genius in general...